Summer is almost here, which means it is time to start planning for summer camp! And choosing the right summer camp for your kids can be a task. As the owner of Seattle's Blossoming Bud's Preschool and Cottage I understand the importance of choosing the right summer camp for your kids. Here are 5 tips for ensuring your little one has summer to remember.
1) Age appropriate. If the camp is age-integrated, which most of them are, make sure there are activities that are appropriate for all age ranges.
2) Activity, activity, activity. Here in Seattle summer is a sacred time and outdoor activity is a must! For example, if your child is into horses find a camp that focuses on outdoor activities involving horses and other animals.
3) Do your homework. Make sure to research not only the camp, but also the employees and facilities.
4) Element of learning. Even though it is summer camp it is important your child is stimulated to encourage continued education. The good camps incorporate fun with learning, and aren't just independent play all day long. Summer is all about enjoying the sunshine and doing a lot of hands-on activities.
5) Always have on hand. Make sure to always apply sunscreen in the morning before you send kids off to camp, and if they will be there all day make sure to put a tube in their backpack also. Consider putting a sun hat and a water bottle in your kiddos backpack, too.
Here are a list of some of Seattle's best summer camps:
Blossoming Buds Preschool: http://www.blossomingbudspreschool.com/ (under programs)
Woodland Park Zoo Camps: http://www.zoo.org/page.aspx?pid=1763#.UWHQr5PFW8w
Seattle Aquarium: http://www.seattleaquarium.org/camps-family-programs
To learn more about one of Seattle’s best preschools and drop-off childcare programs visit www.blossomingbudspreschool.com and www.blossomingbudscottage.com.
Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
I recently saw a report on Dateline NBC how producer Andrea Canning discovered shocking levels of bisphenol A (BPA), phthalates and triclosan in her urine. This news report inspired me to revisit some of our household products and share some of my favorite non-toxic products.
The Honest Company: is a full eco-friendly household cleaning and personal product line. From its non-toxic cleaning supplies to the organic baby wipes, this line has both kids and parents covered.
Safe food containers are a must in my house! We are always on the go and safe waterbottles and sippy cups are a stapel. That's why I love Klean Kanteen.
Crafts are a must for my little one, and her favorite craft tool - crayons! My favorite eco-friendly crayons are by Eco-Kids. These eco-crayons are handmade with natural and organic fruit, plant and vegetable extracts from annatto seed, beets, carrots, curcumin, purple sweet potato, red cabbage and spinach, soy, bee and palm wax. I feel comfortable knowing if those crayons slip into my little one's mouth, not only are they non-toxic they are yummy too!
Check out other non-toxic products and eco-ideas on our Pinterest board: The Best Non-Toxic Products http://pinterest.com/blossomingbuds/best-non-toxic-products. To learn more about one of Seattle’s best preschool sand drop-off childcare programs visit www.blossomingbudspreschool.com and www.blossomingbudscottage.com.